Monday, April 1, 2013

10 days old...time for a Birth Story

so, on Thursday, March 21, I was admitted to the hospital for my induction.  They began by getting me to a room and started the cytotec.  Once this teeny tiny little pill is inserted, it feels like a grain of sand that is 'stuck'.  You know it is working when you begin to feel period-like cramping with the contractions.  We tried to get some rest, I think I dozed off and on during the night.  Around 7 am, the resident inserted a foley bulb.  It was NOT fun.  The cramping got worse and they told me that when my cervix dilated it should fall out on its own.  My doctor came in she removed the foley and broke my water.  It was a huge relief that this was out.  The contractions were stronger and stronger.  We tried to rest and prepare for the 'work' that was ahead.

Our parents got to the hospital and I allowed everyone to come back to the room.  Obviously they left when I needed to be checked or have the epidural, etc.

Yes, I did get an epidural.  I was feeling nauseous and was told that the epidural would help with that feeling and WOW!  did it ever.  I felt great after.  It was a very smart move on my part especially for what I didn't know was going to happen...each doctor that came in to check me was asked if they could feel hair.  they all told me that there was definite hair there.

Somehow I was able to take a great nap about 4:30-6:00pm.  When I was checked at 6, I was fully dilated and ready to push. Started pushed at 6:20.  The doctor had me stop for a few minutes. Baby girl was coming out head up instead of down.  The doctor was going to rotate her with my next couple of contractions.  Once she was twisted, we began pushing again.  Jeff watched the whole process.  He said it was unbelievable that I was able to push our baby out into the world.  The feeling of her leaving my body was bittersweet.  I was so happy to meet her and yet so nervous for the road ahead.  Right before Baby Girl made her entrance into this world her heart rate began to drop.  My doctor requested that the team of pediatricians be in the room for delivery.  Over the loudspeaker, I heard Pediatricians state room XXXX for Newborn Tachycardia.  All of a sudden there was a team of four pediatricians in the room with us and then Lillian Rose was born.  The cord was wrapped around her neck and she was passed over to the Pediatricians and she immediately 'pinked' up and began crying.  This was the most beautiful sound.  Our baby girl Lillian Rose was in my arms.

Lillian Rose born Friday, March 22, 2013 7:30 pm 7 pounds 11 ounces 22 inches long.  Apgar 8/9. Head circumference 14.5  Head full of hair.

 meeting the grandparents


  1. Congratulations! She is adorable!

  2. Thank you SO much for sharing! Such a sweet angel and I am so happy for you guys!